As a first year assistant principal, I have really done some reflecting on my own leadership style. I've written my first two lit reviews on Transformational and Situational Leadership. Clearly, any building level administrator has to be a situational leader to be successful and in theory, transformational leadership should be successful. But, it's so weird being a first year administrator, because I don't feel like I've built enough trust within the faculty to chase after any old change that I think would be beneficial for our school.
The principal has asked me to be the site coordinator for our Making Middle Grades Work school improvement initiative. At times, as a leadership group, we've received quite a bit of kickback from the faculty whenever we ask them to analyze what they've been doing and try something new even when suggestions are very minor changes. Sometimes, I wonder if we are only sensing the negativity because the "new guy" is the one that's been placed in charge of the MMGW initiative. It's just a different dynamic when you're a first year administrator. It's definitely a tough thing trying to quickly build the trust among the faculty during the first few weeks of school, but the important thing I've discovered is that any time I bring up a change or something new I have to always make it about one thing--the students. Focusing on the students makes any changes easier, no matter what leadership style I am.
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Seth, I agree with you in that the faculty will go along with change if you can jusity the need for the change. If you are unable to justify it, you will continue to get the "this is how we have always done it" response. I find it interesting when faculty is resistent to change even while the school is not being successful.
ReplyDeleteSeth, you made a great point about faculty in that most faculty WILL change IF change is better for the students. Notice I said MOST. I find that good educators in our school welcome change as long as they see a direct correlation with student success. Great point!
ReplyDeleteTim
Building trust requires finding a common ground and the common ground in all areas of education are the students. I also find that I come back to "how does this benefit students" whenever changes are proprosed or initiated at the School of Nursing.
ReplyDeleteSeth,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I found it hard to gain the trust of the faculty my first year. One reason was simply my age (as I am sure is the case for you too). Many teachers at my school have been teaching longer than I have been alive. Over the course of the year, I did gain their trust. I use my personal teaching experience a lot when making decisions and talking to teachers. I find that teachers are more likely to buy in to the change at hand when they are given the big picture first and then it is broken down into the steps to get there. These teachers are hard workers and most are completely on board. One factor that I have been told that makes a huge difference, is how I get in the trenches with them. I learn with them and work with them to implement the new strategies, etc. We do not give them the information and say..."ok, go do it." We are with them each step of the way.
Seth...great post!