Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Chapter 23 begins with a quote from Seymour Fleigel saying "There are more vacancies for principals and a greater dearth of qualified candidates than I've seen in the last forty years."
Then chapter 26 begins with an Einstein quote "We cannot solve the problems we've created with the same thinking that created them."

Einstein's quote sums up the problem Fleigel was talking about. In my opinion, we continue to see the same problems within education because of the unwillingness to change the way things are done. If you have Dr Lindle's class on Wednesday nights, you've heard he say that for the most part, public schools look the same today as they did twenty, thirty or forty years ago. (probably even further back) Anyway, we aren't willing to change the way we address problems within our public schools because there are too many in leadership positions who shoot down innovation because of their attitudes of complacency and their unwillingness to adjust to a new generation of students.

We need to evolve as leaders and be willing to try new ideas within our schools and ignore the criticism that comes with the territory of trying something new.

1 comment:

  1. Seth-

    I agree with you! Although, I don't work in K-12, I see the same things in higher education and notice the same in local school districts. I don't know if it's unwillingness to change or fear of taking risks - it takes time, but if it's more effective, why not go for it?

    ReplyDelete