Monday, November 16, 2009

Research Interest

One thing I'm finding out about myself is how little I actually know about a topic I thought I was an expert in about a year and a half ago. I guess my arrogance got the best of me, but I figured that since I worked in public education that I was an expert on NCLB. Well, some of you will not be surprised by this, I'm an idiot. NCLB is not a simple policy and I still know very little about the policy.
My research interest has shifted from a broad topic about NCLB and it's effect on public schools in SC to more about how educational leaders are involved in the process of policy development. For those of you who know Dr Brewer, I actually came up with this on my own before I even talked to him about it. Anyway, as you may have noticed during our class discussions, I tend to focus on political leadership and how it applies to education.
Well, foolishly, I decided to do my final paper on political leadership theory and found very little literature about this individual theory. I found myself attempting to create my own definition of Political Leadership Theory based on what had been said in class and by taking information from Discursive Theory and applying it to what political scientists have said about leadership. I only wish that I could've devoted more time to this paper because I get the feeling this is more of a reflection on what the lit review for the dissertation will be like. I was trying to take literature from various different subjects and create something a little bit different. But with prelims and everything else going on, I was not able to really dive in and do as good of a job as I would've wanted to do. I guess that might be a little brutally honest, but I hope Dr K doesn't hold it against me when grading the final paper.

1 comment:

  1. Seth - Re: discursive theory, you should definitely check out Gail Fairhurst's book on Discursive Leadership. You and I may have different specific interests, but I think the particular approach to policy analysis might be similar. I'm a bit confused by what you mean by political leadership. Is it leadership within the field of politics ... ? I'm interested to hear more!

    ReplyDelete