How do I define my role as a leader?
Marzano (2005) stated that “an effective school leader must attend to the needs of teachers and provide personal attention to individual staff members...communicate high expections and provide a model for teachers.” I think this is an excellent definition for my professional role as an instructional leader in my school.
What inspires best in staff?
I would answer this with communication, trust, and support. A staff must feel cared about and must feel informed about what the goals and vision of the organization are. I think the staff must feel apart of the the vision and goal setting process. As leaders, like I said last week, we need buy-in and not compliance. We want them to understand what we're doing and where we're going and WHY we're doing it.
What are my strengths?
I'm assuming we're supposed to answer this about ourselves. I always hate answering this question. I'm good at team-building and working within a group. I'm good at bringing people together to accomplish a common goal. I am good at taking data and analyzing an oraganizations strengths and weaknesses. I'm a pretty good communicator but I'm not always the best communicator when it comes to confrontation. Sometimes, I sugarcaot too much when I'm upset about something rather than just saying what needs to be said. I'm aware of this and doing my best to work on it though.
Saturday, October 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Seth,
ReplyDeleteI think you are right on about communication, trust, and support. These are great components to inspiring staff. I would also suggest sometimes we might need more than this depending on the situation and adapting to other characteristics we might need. However, I would say trust is definitely at the top of my list.
Grace and peace,
Wylie